Interactive, Virtual Tour
It's now possible to take a virtual tour of the Carillon Museum.
Starting outside the tower
, in the Queen's Park, enter through the main door into the Ground Floor
display area and look about at the various items displayed. Move on to the Yeomanry Room
, then on to the Airborne Room
above it. Finally admire the views from the Balcony
, near the top of the tower.
The Tour was designed specially for the Carillon Museum by museum volunteer David González Muñoz-Torrero.
Recent Acquisitions: Sweetheart Brooch
During the First World War, wives, sisters and girlfriends commonly wore pin-brooches depicting miniature badges of units in which male loved ones were serving. The phrase 'sweetheart brooch' is commonly used to describe brooches and badges of this type.
Sweetheart brooches were usually commercially manufactured. They were bought and presented by a serviceman to his 'sweetheart' when he left home to join his unit.
The example shown here (right
) is the badge of the Leicestershire Yeomanry and can be distinguished from an 'Old Comrades Association' badge by the fact that it has a pin fastening. By tradition, ladies jackets do not have a 'button hole'.
Recent Acquisitions: Chocolate Box Top
This box top (right
) comes from a Fry's chocolate box dating back to the reign of King George V, and shows photographs of King George and Queen Mary. George was the grandson of Queen Victoria and became king on the death of his father, Edward VII, in 1910.
It was King George who, in 1917, bowing to pressure, changed the name of the British royal house from the German-sounding House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to the House of Windsor.
J S Fry & Sons, who were Quakers, had been in business since 1822 and in WW1 had been Bristol's largest employer.