The bells of the Carillon are played by the "carillonneur" who sits at the "clavier" on the third floor of the tower, below the bells. The word "clavier" is French in origin and simply means a keyboard.
The very first official Borough Carilloneur at Loughborough was Eric Jordan and Sidney Potter was appointed as his deputy.
The present day Carillonneur is Caroline Sharpe, seen seated at the clavier in the picture to the left.
Regular recitals are given by the Borough Carilloneur on Thursdays and Sundays at 1pm between Easter Sunday and the end of September, and on the first Thursday of the month during the rest of the year.
The Carillon Tower
The idea of a permanent memorial for Loughborough's war dead was first raised in the town council in 1918 and a committee was formed. Despite other suggestions, a carillon tower was their favoured option from the start. However, the initial design had to be revised because of the cost, but the subsequent design was built, funded by public subscription.
The unveiling and dedication of the monument took place on Sunday 22nd July 1923 with Field Marshal Sir William Robertson performing the unveiling and the Bishop of Peterborough pronouncing the dedication.
Elgar's "Memorial Chimes"
One of the most memorable moments of the unveiling was the playing of the piece of music specially composed for the event by Edward Elgar titled "Memorial Chimes".
The manuscript, donated to Charnwood Borough Council in the 1950s, was rediscovered in 2012 and is now on prominent display in the nearby Charnwood Museum.
The image to the right is a hand written note by Sir Edward Elgar on the manuscript of the "Carillon Chimes". It reads: "written for the opening of the Loughborough Memorial Carillon. 1923 Edward Elgar".