The Carillon Tower

The Carillon Tower was designed by Walter Tapper in 1921 and building started the next year. The ground floor section was constructed from Portland stone up to a height of 16 feet, the middle section was built of red brick with stone dressings around the windows and the upper section was copper clad wood.

Ground floor and entrance to the tower
Bronze plaques, at ground floor level on the outside of the Carillon, commemorate the men of Loughborough who died in World War One and World War Two.

Those commemorated on these plaques are also listed, together with biographical details and photographs where they are available, on the Loughborough Roll of Honour website and, for those men of the nearby parish of Nanpantan who served in World War One, on the St. Mary's Roll of Honour website.

Entrance to the museum is through a pair of double doors. Once inside you will be greeted by one of the museums's team of volunteer guides.



The Medal Collection

The ground floor houses the museum's extensive collection of medals. As well as medals from World War One, such as the 1914-15 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, there are medals from an earlier period including the Queen's South Africa Medal and the Indian General Service Medal. There are also medals awarded to British servicemen by foreign countries, such as the French Legion díHonneur and the Russian Silver Cross of the Order of St. George.


Where possible, the medals are presented with information about the recipient, including any photographic material.


Memorial Plaque

The next of kin of fallen servicemen in the First World War were sent a bronze plaque in commemoration of their kinsman. The plaques, which were 4.5 inches across (11.4cm), were the result of a competition for the design. Not surprisingly they were not always welcome and became known as the 'Death Penny' because of their supposed similarity to a penny coin of the day.

The museum has several examples and the one shown on the right is dedicated to Albert Stockwell, a Corporal in the Leicester Regiment, who died on the Somme in 1916.



The Tie Collection

Another of the ground floor collections features regimenal ties.


The collection was put together by Mr Alick Pervin, a volunteer at the museum, who also made the display case. He had previously been a coachbuilder at the Willowbrook Coach Works on Derby Road and used his skills to make the cases for the displays on other floors.


Part of the medal display Memorial plaque