Interactive, Virtual Tour
It's now possible to take a virtual tour of the Carillon Museum.
Starting outside the tower
, in the Queen's Park, enter through the main door into the Ground Floor
display area and look about at the various items displayed. Move on to the Yeomanry Room
, then on to the Airborne Room
above it. Finally admire the views from the Balcony
, near the top of the tower.
The Tour was designed specially for the Carillon Museum by museum volunteer David González Muñoz-Torrero.
Recent Acquisitions: Chocolate Box Top
This box top (right
) comes from a Fry's chocolate box dating back to the reign of King George V, and shows photographs of King George and Queen Mary. George was the grandson of Queen Victoria and became king on the death of his father, Edward VII, in 1910.
It was King George who, in 1917, bowing to pressure, changed the name of the British royal house from the German-sounding House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to the House of Windsor.
J S Fry & Sons, who were Quakers, had been in business since 1822 and in WW1 had been Bristol's largest employer.
Recent Acquisitions: Kit, Vapour Detector, L1A1, circa 1970
(Cat No. 2017.6)
This Detector Kit is a relic from the Cold War. It is essentially a simple chemistry set designed to enable soldiers in the field to identify what sort of chemical agent was being used against them.
The 'one colour' detector paper, which was attached to the soldier's NBC (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical) protective clothing, warned him of a chemical attack, while the 'three colour' paper identified the type of agent if it was in liquid form.
The kit is complete with a small pump to take an air sample so that chemical agents delivered in smoke or vapour form could be analysed.
The end of the Cold War signalled an end to the obsession with chemical warfare as the nature of conflicts change.